NIFS Fastener Hall of Fame

A couple weeks ago, Eric Dudas (of Fasteners Clearing House and Fully Threaded Radio) tweeted something about the National Fastener Show "Hall of Fame".  His comments ended with something like "google it".  I did.

I googled it but no where could I find a listing of the Hall of Fame members.  Heck, a bunch of you readers, especially younger ones, probably do not even know that there is a National Industrial Fastener Show Hall of Fame.  So I wrote a quick note to Fastener Show General Manager, Susan Hurley, and she was able to quickly send me the list of all the HOF members.  I will post the list below as it was sent to me by Susan.  I was surprised to see that there have been no new inductees since 2008.  I have another post in mind for after this one and I hope you readers will help me out with your input.  I want to know who is missing from this list.  I've got several names that come to mind immediately but, for now, let me just share with you the NIFS Hall of Fame inductees so it exists somewhere on the internet:

NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL FASTENER SHOW & CONFERENCE

"Hall of Fame" Inductees       1982 - Present

1982

Richard B. Belford (deceased 1994) -Industrial Fasteners Institute

Walter F. Borges (retired) -Wrought Washer Mfg., Inc.

George S. Case, Jr. (retired) -Lamson & Sessions Co.

H. Thomas Hallowell, Jr. -SPS Technologies

James G. Rayburn (deceased) -Flexalloy, Inc.

Norman R. Sackheim (deceased) -Former Partner in SL Screw Corp. Founder of Heads & Threads, Inc.

Roy P. Trowbridge (retired) -Engineering Standards Section General Motors Corp.

1983

Charles Wilson -Industrial Fasteners Institute

Abe Bellikoff (retired) -Formerly of Atlas Screw & Specialty Co.

Paul Lemke, Sr. -Thruway Fasteners, Inc.

John Maclean -Maclean Fogg Co.

Robert O. McGuire (retired) -Formerly of Capitol Sales, Inc.

Asta Ball -Minature Nut & Screw Corp.

1984

A. Craig Hood -ACH Technologies

Michael Herling -Infasco Div. Of Ivaco, Inc.

Edger C. Seitz, Jr. -Service Supply Co.

John C. Wasmer, Sr. -Lake Erie Screw Corp.

Irwin Goldhart (deceased) -Automotive Hardware Ltd.

Fritz Jensen (deceased) -  Southern Screw

1985

Kenneth A. Honroth (deceased) - Kendale Industries Inc.

Howard Griffith (deceased) -Flexalloy, Inc.

Bernard Golden (deceased) - Formerly of Carter, Milchman & Frank

& Star Stainless Screw

Rocco Sacco - Radax Industries

1986

Paul Tyson - Tampa, Florida

Douglas V. Miller - Bamal Fastener Corp.

J. Bud Porteous - Porteous Fastener Co.

Don Broehm - Mid-State Bolt & Nut Co.

Bill Ziegler - Ziegler Bolt & Nut Co.

Bernie Feldman - Industrial Fasteners, Inc.

1987

Stanley C. Adamek - Pheoll Mfg. Co.

John J. Lohrman (deceased) - RB&W Corporation

Paul Zehnder - Earnest Machine Products

Dale Holl - Darling Bolt Co.

Dick Rech - Reynolds Fasteners, Inc.

Perry Rosenstein -Brighton-Best Socket Screw Mfg.

1988

Bill Gassaway - Tennessee Bolt & Screw Co.

George F. Wasmer - Lake Erie Screw Corporation

John F. "Jack" Sullivan - Accurate Fastener Inc.

Luke Sullivan - Sullivan Bolt Co., Inc.

1989

Harold C. Benson - Consolidated Bolt & Nut Co.

Bernie Jonas - General Fasteners

Harry Branson  - Threaded Rod Company

Jim Layden - Porteous Fasteners

1990

Richard W. Kerr - Kerr Lakeside, Inc.

Moses E. Cordova -Cordova Bolt, Inc.

Joseph Kuchar  - American Fastener Corporation

David Tuttle (deceased) - Spencer Products Company

1991

Mary Ann Langholz - National Fastener Dist Assoc

Larry Stanley -Empire Bolt

Jack Fatica (deceased) - Champion Bolt

Joseph Hoyt (deceased) - Hoyt Fastener Corporation

1992

Joe Greenslade  - Greenslade & Co., Inc.

John Allen - Wrought Washer Mfg., Inc.

John L. Eames (deceased) - Soc-Pro, Inc.

Jack A. Trilling (deceased) - Trilling Technical Services

1993

Richard J. Callahan - Fastener Industry News

Edith Cameron  - Allmetal Products Co.

Edward E. Ferry (deceased) - Loesch Associates, Inc.

William "Bill" M. Dickson, Sr. - Texas Bolt Company

1994

Bob Lehman - Pacific Warehouse Sales

Michael McGuire - American Fastener Journal

Alfred "Alf" Prout - Specialty Fasteners, Ltd.

1995

James Revercomb Sr. - Rev Car Fasteners, Inc.

James Schiele - St. Louis Screw & Bolt Co.

J. Joseph Fuller - Hunter-Stevens Company

1996

Dan McIlhon - Iowa Industrial Products, Inc.

Michael Turnbull - Purchased Parts Group

James Zehnder - Earnest Machine Products

John Zehnder - Earnest Machine Products

1997

Mary McClure - Capitol Bolt & Supply

Bobby Barnhill - Barnhill Bolt Co., Inc.

Jim Barnhill - Barnhill Bolt Co., Inc.

Martin Calfee - Copper State Bolt & Nut

1998

Max F. Dorflinger - Nylok Fastener Corporation

Frederic B. Powers, Jr. - Powers Fastening Inc

Lee Bookman - Heads and Threads Company

1999

H.M. “Bus” Young, Jr. - Western Wire Products Co.

David Johns    (deceased) - Mid-West Fabricating Co.

Winston L. Adams - Adams Nut & Bolt Co.

2000

Bob Endries - Endries Fastener & Supply

Mel Kirsner (retired) - Pell Mell Supply

Barry Porteous - Porteous Fastener Company

2001

Thomas S. Doppke - Technical Presentations Company

Richard A. Malson - Ramco Specialties, Inc.

Ron Sackheim - XL Screw Corporation

2007-Vegas

Barry L. MacLean - MacLean-Fogg Company

Marty Schneider - Continental-Aero

2008-Vegas

Richard Lassiter - Vegas Fastener Manufacturing

William Liao - Fastener World Magazine

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 2/19/2012 3:22 PM Courtyard 2nd Home wrote:
    Did a quick glance through the names. Did not see anyone from Fastenal. Info for the Hall of Fame, Fastenal is a pretty big company. Might want to give them some consideration. Just my thoughts. Others might not see them as any big deal.
    1. 2/19/2012 3:29 PM Traveling Salesman wrote:
      Fastenal?  Never heard of 'em.  They sell fasteners??

Of course, I jest.  But, I will add one note I did not offer in the original post.  Not everyone who has been invited to join the Fastener Hall of Fame has accepted the invitation.  I have no idea whatsoever if that applies to Fastenal but I just thought I would pass that along.  Still, I do want to hear from you folks who else you would include in the HOF.  Maybe I will start my own HOF where people cannot reject entry because they get absolutely nothing from me by becoming a member!!  Like making the Madden team but with no cover!

• 2/20/2012 2:07 PM QueenB wrote:
    I was told Joe Greenslade was the youngest member being honored in the HOF. Go Joe!!! So how does one get to be elected?
    1. 2/20/2012 2:12 PM Traveling Salesman wrote:
      That seems to be a great mystery.
  • 2/20/2012 2:52 PM Jim Bannister wrote:
    TS/All:
    The National Industrial Fastener Show "Hall of Fame" was started in 1982 (the second year of our event) to honor those individuals who made significant contributions to the fastener industry.
    Although we have not received any nominations in recent years, the "Hall of Fame" is very much alive and we welcome any nominations sent to the Expo office in New Albany, Ohio for consideration by the anonymous selection committee.
    We are also adding a "Hall of Fame" page on our Expo website and will announce this when up and running in the very near future.
    We also want to take this opportunity to report that the National Industrial Fastener & Mill Supply Expo will be held October 10-12, 2012 at the Sands Expo & Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada USA.
    We are delighted to report that exhibit space sales are running considerably ahead of last year at this point and we expect the event to be even larger and better attended than the 2011 Expo.
    Complete information is available at www.fastenershows.com.
    1. 2/20/2012 7:08 PM Dave wrote:
      Good one TS! you have inspired lots of interest in the HOF and even Jim to post something not directly related to his trade show, at least the first half of his post anyway. Thats a first!!

Anonymous selection committee??? I can't even begin to guess who that would be. Since I am never going to be up for admission, no comment. Nice work TS!

Dave
  • 2/20/2012 11:13 PM Jim Bannister wrote:
    Dave/All:
    There has not been a single nomination for the National Industrial Fastener Show 'Hall of Fame' since 2008.
    Surely there are other highly deserving and qualified candidates.
    Nominees are welcomed.
    The Selection Committee is comprised of current members of the 'Hall of Fame'. What better group to consider the contributions and qualifications of nominees?
    Please feel free to submit nominations to info@fastenershows.com.
    Jim Bannister
    General Partner, CEM
    National Industrial Fastener & Mill Supply Expo
    1. 2/20/2012 11:34 PM Traveling Salesman wrote:
      Jim, just FYI, I think there are a lot of people who would not have had any idea that unsolicited nominations were desired.  I don't think that the majority of people in the industry (and especially any of the younger members) understand how current HOF members were nominated and chosen.  I think the HOF is a fine thing with a lot of deserving members.  But this dialogue certainly offers you the opportunity to fill us in on the process and criterian used to select Hall members.
  • 2/21/2012 12:45 PM Jim Bannister wrote:
    TS/All:
    I invite you to visit www.fastenershows.com. Click on NEWS, then scroll down to Hall of Fame Members and click on that. Read the introduction, then review the list of past honorees.
    I believe the introduction to the Hall of Fame Members page is self-explanatory regarding the process. As I have explained previously, Hall of Fame inductees are usually chosen based upon outstanding achievements and their contributions to betterment of the fastener industry as a whole. There are no specific criteria. Reading the list should give you and others a good idea of the kind of people who are chosen.
    A number of candidates have not been selected in the past, but most nominees are selected if the Committee recognizes true industry leadership and outstanding contributions to the fastener industry.
    If anyone reading this blog or reading the Hall of Fame Members page on the Expo website feel there is someone who belongs in the Hall of Fame, they should nominate that person, list their achievements, contributions, leadership, etc. and submit the information to info@fastenershows.com.
    Jim Bannister
    General Manager
    National Industrial Fastener & Mill Supply Expo
  • 2/21/2012 10:01 PM Vickie Lester wrote:
    There is an actual physical location for the Hall of Fame. It's a Hall of Fame Walkway outside the north entrance of the Columbus Convention Center, with engraved bricks showing the name and year of induction of for those in the Hall of Fame.
    1. 2/21/2012 10:18 PM Traveling Salesman wrote:
      Vickie, you are kidding, right?
  • 2/21/2012 10:36 PM Jim Bannister wrote:
    TS -
    Vickie is absolutely correct and it proves to me that you did not bother to read the introduction to the Hall of Fame Memebers listing that I wrote on the Expo website. Idirected you to this information in an earlier blog comment.
    Please go to www.fastenershows.com, click on the NEWS tab, scroll down to Hall of Fame Members and click on that . . . then read the second paragraph. You should have done this before questioning Vickie Lester's comment.
    Do your homework, TS.
    I will not comment further on this matter with you.
    Jim Bannister
    General Partner
    National Industrial Fastener & Mill Supply Expo
    1. 2/21/2012 11:10 PM Traveling Salesman wrote:
      Hey Jim, it is about 10:00 at night and I just got home to a computer.  Till now, the posts I have put up have been from an I-Phone.  I have not been in front of a computer to go to your website.  My apologies.
      1. 2/22/2012 1:31 AM Dave wrote:
        Hey TS - don't feel too bad I thought that was a joke also. You have a lot of class for posting JB's comment like that, but don't expect him to notice. Your readers all understand this well.

Guess I'm assured of no HOF brick now...

Dave
        1. 2/22/2012 9:10 AM Traveling Salesman wrote:
          Truly, I was not trying to be snarky or sarcastic or anything.  I, flat out, never knew such a monument existed.  And, Vickie is pretty funny, so I was not sure.  I'm pretty supportive of all the trade shows and industry groups and all and I think this is the most anyone has talked about the Fastener Hall of Fame in a while...at least since 2008.  No harm intended, in fact I like to think I am getting people talking about something that has been kind of dormant since 2008.
  • 2/22/2012 10:23 AM Bolt Doctor wrote:
    This is the first time I have taken the initiative to respond to one of your posts but I enjoy your site. I have been in the industry almost 25 years. This is a very interesting list of names. Many of the individuals I do not know but I know the companies. I knew Andy Rayburn, not Jim Rayburn. To me, Andy built Flexalloy into a power house in distribution and, at one time, they had contracts with Volvo, Freightliner, and Mack. I think Andy took that company to a new level, but I do not see him mentioned and he is no longer in the industry. I see Jerry Hancock made it to the hall, and deservidly so. Not only did he start Mega Metrics but he also started Monster Metrics, the precurser to Mega. But I don't see Henry Bossard, Virgil Lindstrom, the folks from Metric & Multistandard. I see no one from Fastenal. I see no one from Stelfast. It is too early to make the new owners of Brighton Best members of a Hall of Fame, but they are doing revolutionary things with their warehouses and computer system. No Wurth! For most of my career, there have been two main sources for stainless fasteners - Star & Bell (now Vertex). Where is Vertex? I saw WIFI mention there were only 3 female members and someone mentioned Paula Sens. Absolutely she deserved to be in. What about Doug Adams of EFC? William Liao if Fastener World Magazine is inducted. No Leo Coar?? No Mike McNulty? Everybody reads LINK and Fastener Technology and McNulty is involved in the Fastener Tech show. No Micro Plastics or Volt? No mentione of Penn Engineering or of Captive Fastener? I don't see any rivet companies represented yet companies like Pop (Emhart) and Marson (Alcoa) have been around forever. No Portland Bolt or Chicago Hardware (both 100 years old)? No Nucor representation? They're pretty important. I understand that not every company has a specific person that one can point to as being the person that deserves to be in the Fastener Hall of Fame. Not sure I could point to one individual at Tinnerman who should represent the company. But the existing list is certainly not complete. There is much work to be done to make the Hall of Fame a true representation of the industry. And, don't get me started on the European and Asian suppliers that supply so much to our domestic product offering.